Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MARPOL

Torrey Canyon 1967
•1959 US built, 60,000 dwt, , Li. flagged
•Jumboised to 120,000 dwt
•Cargo 120,000 ts of BP oil for Milford Haven
•Navigational error caused grounding ripping open 6 tanks
•31,000,000 gallons of oil leaked

•Oil spread along the sea between England and France

Amoco Cadiz 1978
•1974 built Amoco Cadiz carrying 227,000 tonnes of crude oil
•ran aground off the coast of Brittany, France at 10:00 p.m. on March 16, 1978
•The whole cargo spilled out as the breakers spilt the vessel in two, progressively polluting 360 km of shoreline
•At the time this was the largest oil spill by tanker ever registered.
The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL)
•as amended by the 1978 Protocol (MARPOL 73/78)
Just Oil…
•1954 OILPOL Convention
–Operational
•Discharge zones (50nm and 100ppm)
•Reception facilities
Not just Oil…
MARPOL Annexes I – VI
•
•
I.Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Oil
II.Regulations for the Control of Pollution by Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk
III.Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Harmful Substances Carried by Sea in Packaged Form
IV.Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Sewage from Ships
V.Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Garbage from Ships
VI.Regulations for the Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships
MARPOL Implementation
•
•1967 Torrey Canyon
•1973-1978 Amoco Cadiz et al.
•MARPOL ’73 and the Protocol ‘78
•MARPOL enters into force October 1983
–Annex I and II - 1983
–Annex III – 1992
–Annex V – 1988
–Annex IV – 2003
–Annex VI - 2005

1 comment:

  1. I generally check this kind of article and I found your article which is related to my interest.Naval architecture and marine engineering Genuinely it is good and instructive information. Thankful to you for sharing an article like this.

    ReplyDelete